Chicamacomico Banks extended from Oregon Inlet to Kinnakeet (present-day Avon). By the early 1900s, three distinct villages had become established on the northern end of the island. The southernmost of these three villages was know as Clark, or Clarksville. In 1901, Clark got its own post office and was renamed Salvo.
Because of its proximity to Pea Island --so named for the abundance of wild peas-- and the enormous numbers of waterfowl that came to winter in the Pamlico Sound and feed on the peas, Salvo and its neighboring soundside communities were favorites of hunt clubs and commercial fowlers until the 1940s when Pea Island was included in the Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge system.